Musikmesse 2014 video: Akai announces APC40 MkII, APC Key 25 and APC Mini
10th Mar 2014 | 16:20
Learn your APCs
Musikmesse 2014: With all the fuss surrounding Ableton's Push, Akai's APC40 has become a slightly forgotten man among 'official' Live controllers, However, you might recall that, when it was released in 2009, it was actually the first product of its kind.
And now it's back: the APC40 mkII is the result of five years' worth of user feedback and promises "extended functionality, countless musical capabilities, and improved workflow". It's certainly a leaner, more attractive-looking beast than its predecessor; it features a 5x8 RGB LED clip-launching matrix, an assignable A/B crossfader, eight rotary knobs, eight channel faders, and a send button for quick access to send busses.
This isn't the end of the APC relaunch story, however, as Akai has also announced the all-new APC Key 25 - an Ableton Live-compatible 25-note mini keyboard with a clip matrix and assignable knobs - and the APC mini. The latter product features an 8x8 clip launching grid, eight channel faders and a master fader.
All the new APC controllers are designed to integrate seamlessly with Ableton Live and come with a copy of Live Lite in the box. They're class-compliant and can be powered over USB.
Commenting on the launches, Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill said: "The APC40 was the original performance controller designed for Ableton Live and has become an essential instrument for Ableton Live users. Now we are able to deliver three new APC instruments for musicians, composers, and mobile performers that allow comprehensive, hands-on control of Ableton Live in any performance or production environment."
You can find out more about each new APC model by clicking through the gallery and on the Akai Pro website. They'll be available in the Summer.
NEXT: Akai APC40 mkII
Akai APC40 mkII
- 5x8 RGB LED clip matrix - launches clips with visual feedback
- 8 channel faders, 1 master fader, and 8 device controls - map to Ableton Live directly
- Intuitive layout - revised knob layout with in-line controls for smarter workflow
- A/B crossfader - can be assigned on the fly for dynamic mixing
- Send button - press and hold Send and use the Track Selects to choose one of 8 sends
- Music production content - Toolroom artist launch packs, Prime Loops sample packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Technology & SONiVOX Twist
Akai APC Key 25
- Ableton Live controller with keyboard - 25 synth-action mini keys
- Tri-color clip matrix - launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status
- 8 assignable control knobs – hands-on-control of any Ableton Live parameter
- Octave Up, Octave Down and Sustain - expands keyboard range and expression
- Music production content - Toolroom artist launch packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech & SONiVOX Twist
Akai APC mini
- Tri-color clip matrix - 8x8 grid launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status
- 8 channel faders and 1 master fader - provide hands-on-control of Ableton
- Compact construction - portable design for mobile performers and producers
- Music production content - Toolroom artist launch packs and Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech