Duffy is 2008’s biggest-selling artist
7th Jul 2008 | 15:28
UK sales for year so far led by Welsh singer
New figures released today (7 July) by the Official UK Charts Company show that Duffy has secured both the best-selling album and single of 2008 so far.
The Welsh singer's debut album, Rockferry, is the biggest-selling album of 2008, while Mercy is the best-selling single. Both went to Number 1 in the UK and she debuted in the US album charts at 4.
The rundowns are bad news for rock bands. Nickelback and Coldplay and are the only guitar-based bands in the album Top 10s - and MusicRadar might argue that Nickelback's appearance is bad news for music, full stop.
Here's the rundown on what the UK public has been buying.
The best-selling singles of 2008 so far are
1. Duffy – Mercy
2. Nickleback – Rockstar
3. Basshunter featuring DJ Mental Theo – Now You're Gone
4. Estelle featuring Kanye West – American Boy
5. Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake – 4 Minutes
6. Flo Rida featuring T-Pain – Low
7. Sam Sparrow – Black And Gold
8. Rihanna – Don't Stop The Music
9. Adele – Chasing Pavements
10. H Two O featuring Platinum – What's It Gonna Be
The best-selling albums of 2008 so far are
1. Duffy – Rockferry
2. Coldplay – Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
3. Nickleback – All The Right Reasons
4. Scouting For Girls – Scouting For Girls
5. Amy Winehouse – Back To Black (Deluxe Edition)
6. Leona Lewis – Spirit
7. Adele – 19
8. Amy MacDonald – This Is The Life
9. Mika – Life In Cartoon Motion
10. Neil Diamond – Home Before Dark