Coldplay have 2008's best selling album
16th Feb 2009 | 16:41
AC/DC, Duffy, Metallica in Top 5
Coldplay's fourth studio album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends has been confirmed as the top-selling album worldwide in 2008.
The album sold 6.8 million units, according to the London-based International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which represents the recording industry worldwide.
AC/DC's Black Ice, the hard rockers' the first new album in eight years, came second, while the soundtrack to the hit film Mamma Mia! The Movie came third.
Coldplay's Viva La Vida also sold more downloads than any other album in digital history within a month of release, the IFPI said.
The 10 biggest-selling albums contained four by British artists, three by US artists and two film soundtracks.
Top 20 selling albums of 2008
1. Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
2. AC/DC - Black Ice
3. Various Artists - Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack
4. Duffy - Rockferry
5. Metallica - Death Magnetic
6. Leona Lewis - Spirit
7. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
8. Various Artists - High School Musical 3: Senior Year
9. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
10. Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad
11. Madonna - Hard Candy
12. Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce
13. Pink - Funhouse
14. Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
15. Britney Spears - Circus
16. Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static
17. Il Divo - The Promise
18. Taylor Swift - Fearless
19. Jonas Brothers - A Little Bit Longer
20. Various Artists - Camp Rock